History
Education » Grammar School

A Cowbridge tailor by the name of Toolye owned the site between Holy Cross Church and the Southgate wall at the turn of the 17th century. It was purchased from him by Sir Edward and Sir John Stradling of St. Donats, who then established the Free School there. The school and many of the lands belonging to the Stradlings in the Vale of Glamorgan were acquired by Sir Leoline Jenkins who was an 'illustrious Old Boy' of the school, and who had become Secretary of State to Charles II. They were then bequeathed to Jesus College, Oxford, hence the tie between the Grammar School and the college in Oxford. (Source: Cowbridge Buildings & People (page 67) - ISBN 0 95370 0 1)

 

Cowbridge Grammar School cap (circa) 1910

Grammar School

Top